Thursday, April 17, 2008

Night Of My Life

Thursday, April 17, 2008

So, as you were aware/anticipating , I saw my boy Kanye last night at Key Arena. He brought some of his homies, Lupe, Pharrell, et.al, and RiRi (oh yeah, you know her as Rihanna). Anyway, there we were, chillin before the show at the hotel (sorry, its gotta be an undisclosed location), having some Dom, poppin some pills (only me--PPH--and Lupe, of course) while the rest of the crew puffed on a blunt rolled by none other than me, Wig. (Short for 'wigga', their nickname for me. I think its cute, Im the only white girl anyway...). Were enjoying ourselves, kickin it, getting pumped for their debut US show of the Glow-in-theDark tour, when, whhhaaa? Snoop? Come on man, you gotta be kiddin me! He calls me up on my blackberry (only my posse has that number) and says hes in town and wants to chill. No way, dude, youre always 1, you know that, but K is here for one night only and, you know how I roll. Gotta spread myself out (ew, not like that! Yes, I had to keep him from making the obvious joke). He was upset, but we rescheduled for Starbucks and a movie next weekend. I would have invited him to chill with us, but security for the hotel was all tied up outside, and sneaking him in after the fact would have been impossible. Plus, Kanye likes to have his thunder, you know. Dont need no other cats steppin on toes or nothin. I hang up with Snoop and we have like 15 minutes til Lupe's gotta do his thang. Hes pumped, he does his pre-gig ritual (it involves a bathtub and a gallon jug, s'all I can say), and we wish him well after a quick prayer circle and an Amen powerful enough to shake the ground beneath us (we all bein one with our faith and shit).

N.E.R.D. was next, so we had to round up all those roady bitches and get em back out to the Arena. Too many groupies in one room is hazardous to the health of the performers (in more ways than 1, lemme tell you!). Im always on Pharrell, when I see him, saying that those dirty bitches will ruin his life one way or another, and if not that, just ruin his manhood. He always insists theyd be 'gone til November' if Id just commit myself to him, but alas, he knows Im involved. I hate having to tell him that all the time, though, his poor lil heart...

Right before RiRi went on, I did her nails hot pink (its the new black) and fixed her makeup...a bit had smudged when Lupe gave her a shotgun gone wrong (that cat is wild!). She then had me call her "secret" bf---youve seen the tabloids, but you know I cant confirm--just to say shed meet up with him the next day for dinner before the Sacramento show. God we were on the phone forever laughing and catching up, when I realized Kanye was giving me his puppy dog eyes---I wasnt paying him enough preshow attention! Fine, I said, come here...and we did our normal pep talk, "Mr. West, listen up. YOu are strong and powerful and the best performer on Earth. Everyone will like you and what you do tonight. Whatever you do, dont sing any Bob Dylan impromptu (he loves to break into 70's rock hits without rehearsing first) and keep yo head up and your shoulders squared (the boy cant quit the slouch!). I had him put on another undershirt (that dry ice is cold) and he was off with a kiss on the forehead and a Go Team pat on the bum! Boy was I proud of him.

Well, everyone killed it, especially K. He was so worried "Do you think they liked it? Was I good?" and I assured him it was the best Id ever seen. The best anyone would ever see...

After the party is the after party and...well, you know how they say we aint leaving til 6 in the morn...? Lets just say Im runnin on empty after a night of body shots and rubbin elbows with my crew, exchanging stories of back in the day, when old skool was actually old and hip hop meant somethin. Being part of a hip-hop entourage is hard, but you know, I wouldnt give up those friendships for the world. Donia was weirded out when I rolled in just in time for breakfast, but shes chill. She knows me and my life, and that my posse isnt goin nowhere...

Good luck to everyone tonight in Cali. Call me on the weekend when youve got time off. Ill see you on the road when I make a trip out to accompany you to the BET Awards show in June...

Oh, and if youre around, Diddy's white party in the Hamptons in July should be off tha hook! Im going down with Em, but you know where to meet up...

one love

No comments: